Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Craigslist Vs. Boston.Com

Craigslist Boston has come in handy many times in my personal life. I've found room mates, things to do, jobs, and places to live from careful research on that site. I like the city by city orientation of Craigslist (NH, my home state, has finally got their own Craigslist too) and the multitude of choices for what to look for.

What I didn't know is that Boston.com offers many of the same options and choices as Craigslist. There are discussion forums ranging from stay-at-home moms to books to movies to news. There are green living pages, classifieds and personals that I must add, are a little less seamy than the Craiglists personals can sometimes get. I really liked the section on Boston.com called "Do Good" as well, giving a new focus and importance to people volunteering more.

I feel both these sites can be advantageous to people new to Boston or trying to learn more about their communities. However, when appyling for jobs or looking for a rental, the competition is fierce as these are two heavily visited sites. Going in to situations with this in mind will soften any disappointment that might follow.

No comments: